Take a look at the World Lung Foundation’s new website, http://15000aday.org/
Reports & Articles
Second-hand Smoke Linked to Diabetes, Reuters, March 11, 2011 Cigarette smoke is tied to a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, both for smokers and the people around them. The more secondhand smoke people are exposed to, the greater their risk of type 2 diabetes. Read the full study at Diabetes Care
Teen Use of Menthol Cigarettes on the Rise, The Wall Street Journal, March 15, 2011 The use of menthol cigarettes is rising among adolescents and is “very high” among minority youth, according to a Food and Drug Administration advisory panel.
The Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee will make a recommendation about whether menthol flavoring should be banned next week.
- The Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee meeting materials and webcast information are available online.
- The FDA Menthol Report: What to Expect
Draft Chapters of the Menthol Report:
- Chapters 1 and 2: Introduction and TPSAC’s Approach to Evidence Gathering and Review
- Chapter 3: Physiological Effects of Menthol
- Chapter 4: Patterns of Menthol Cigarette Smoking in the U.S.
- Chapter 6: Effects of Menthol on Disease Risks of Smoking, Toxicology, Biomarkers, and Epidemiology
For background information about the menthol report in the news, see: FDA weighs ban on Newports, other menthol cigarettes.