Please note: Grantee attendance at non-HPCDP sponsored events, conferences, and trainings is encouraged as long as the content of the learning opportunity directly supports the workplan and the associated expenses fit within the approved budget. Please consult with your liaison to determine whether a training opportunity meets these requirements.
Sodium Reduction: Time for Choice: CDC’s Public Health Grant Rounds webcast explored the consequences of excessive sodium intake and possible means to reduce sodium intake. Other past webinars on sodium reduction include:
- Identifying Opportunities and Resources to Promote Healthful Eating and Sodium Reduction (April 11, 2011): A discussion on policy options for states and locals to improve the nutritional content of foods, with a focus on reducing sodium consumption.
- Using Purchasing Power to Improve Nutrition and Health (Feb. 22, 2011): How nutrition, including sodium reduction, can be improved through procurement policies that require foods be purchased, provided, or made available to meet minimum nutritional standards.
- Strategies for Better Health Outcomes (Dec. 15, 2010): An overview of sodium reduction strategies and opportunities, and the role of state health officials as champions for healthy eating.
Two new HealthBeat audio blog entries from the Department of Health and Human Services focus on nutrition:
- The first segment (March 31) discusses how salt is hidden in processed, packaged foods in grocery stores and in restaurant meals leading to Americans eating twice the daily limit of salt.
- The second segment (April 5) examines the role of whole grain cereal in diets to decrease the risk of hypertension.
American Planning Association Workshop Series, June 8-11, 2011, Chicago Topics include “Integrating Public Health into the Sustainable Comprehensive Plan” and “Codes for Sustainable Places.”
Save the Date! 2011 Regional Livability Summit, September 14, 2011, Portland State University This year’s Summit will focus on how to build a broad-baed movement for equitable and effective solutions to climate change through strategies for livable and healthy communities.
Webinar: Local Best Practices for Tobacco Prevention and Control, May 9, 2011 11:00 AM (pacific) Join NALBOH and the National Association of County and City Health Officials in an information sharing session on utilizing local best practices for tobacco prevention and control. This one-hour session will discuss local guidelines and allow participants to share their evidence-based tobacco control strategies.