The Department of Health and Human Services has launched www.BeTobaccoFree.gov, a comprehensive website providing one-stop access to the best and most up-to-date tobacco-related information from across its agencies, including CDC, FDA, NIH/NCI, and the Office of the Surgeon General. This new site includes general information on tobacco as well as federal and state laws and policies, health statistics, and evidence-based methods on how to quit.
Guide to Effectively Educating State and Local Policy Makers – from the Society for Public Health Education, this resource guide facilitates the action steps needed to education policymakers on the latest policies and research in chronic disease prevention and control. Information includes acquiring stakeholders, framing messages, and creating policy action plans.
Two new issue briefs are available from the American Lung Association:
- Big Tobacco’s Next Frontier: Sustaining Addiction and Hooking Kids with Other Tobacco Products looks at traditional other tobacco products, both products that are smoked and ones that are non-combustible, i.e. cigars and smokeless tobacco. It examines the public health problems these products pose and provides recommendations about how best to address these problems.
- The Emergence of New Smokeless Tobacco Products examines the newer and novel smokeless tobacco products, i.e. snus and dissolvables, and provides an overview of what we know about the health risks of these products, and makes recommendations to address potential public health challenges related to them.
A new state-by-state report (pdf) from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) shows a significant decrease in adolescent smoking in most states during the past decade.
And three new smoking cessation studies:
- Homeless former smokers’ interest in helping homeless current smokers quit
- Addressing weight gain in smoking cessation treatment: a randomized controlled trial
- Cigarette Warning Label Policy Alternatives and Smoking-Related Health Disparities