Familias en Accion
Bi-lingual Community Health Worker
The mission of Familias en Acción is to promote holistic family well-being for Latinos through community engagement, education, research and advocacy for social change.
This position combines activities from two programs to create a full-time bi-lingual position to provide resources to clients in a local health system. One program provides resources to families with food insecurities, called the Screen and Intervene program, located in SE Portland. The second program is staffing the Resource Desk located at Providence Hoyt Clinic and the Providence Gateway Clinic. The bi- lingual staff provides resources for patients who experience barriers to achieving their best health outcomes.
The Community Health Worker works directly with clients, families, and health care personnel to support Latino clients with a variety of resources. This position requires a flexible, self-directed person, who is excellent at handling situations where all the details may not yet be available or determined and can search for the information that is needed. This person must be an excellent communicator with Latinos in the community, as well as professional health care employees, and must be bilingual in English and Spanish. The person must have a strong background in working with the Latino culture and understand the nuances of the cultural values that impact medical care. They must be able to empower the clients to manage their health. Experience and knowledge of the health care system is required. This is a fast-paced, interactive, demanding environment. Excellent phone skills are required
- Process referrals and conduct client intake, application assistance, enrollment and orientation by phone or in person
- Enter client and referral data into Familias en Accion database – CLARA
- Communicate with members of care coordination team
- Assist clients in addressing social determinants that serve as barriers to health and selecting Pathways
- Provide referrals to complete Pathways
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends to meet clients
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in health, social work, or related field; or
- Minimum of three years of experience in human services, healthcare, social services or non- profit sector with demonstrated knowledge of working with the Latino community.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Possess excellent attention to detail, good organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office computer program and data entry skills.
- Valid driver’s license with reliable transportation and insurance.
- Fluent bi-lingual in English and Spanish with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Submit a resume and cover letter to Gail Brownmiller at: email@example.com